The Child Support Division strives to improve the quality of life for children and reduce the cost of welfare. If a child needs financial and medical support from an absent parent, the program may be able to help. It provides services to assist in establishing paternity, locating the parent, and establishing and enforcing child support orders. It provides information to the state, so that the state may collect and distribute payments.

The District Attorney's Child Support Division provides services on behalf of the State of Louisiana. When you request these services, you must cooperate with the District Attorney by providing any information or documents needed to establish paternity, to locate the parent or to get support payments for the child.

Information necessary for opening a child support case include:

The more information you provide, the easier it is to collect child support for you. If you are eligible for public assistance, or FITAP (Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program), your case will be automatically referred to the District Attorney's Office. Anyone who does not receive public assistance will be charged an application fee of $25.00 which is forwarded to DCFS (Department of Children and Family Services).

Available Services:

All children have the right to be supported by both parents. Any person, whether or not he or she receives public assistance, can apply for support services. Some of these services include:

Please contact the local District Attorneys Office in the parish in which you are domiciled for assistance.

Child Support Division Contacts:

Iberia Parish: Dawn Fremin-Supervisor
Courthouse Building,
300 Iberia St., Suite 200
New Iberia, La. 70560

St. Martin Parish: Brenda Hayes-Supervisor
St. Martinville, La. 70582

St. Mary Parish: Shirley Legnon-Supervisor
Courthouse Building
Franklin, La. 70538
337-828-4100 ext. 550

Child Support Division


Worthless Checks
White Collar Crime
Child Support
Victim/Witness Assistance Services
Juvenile Drug Court
Pretrial Diversion
Adult Drug Court
Misdemeanor Probation
Senior Citizen Services
Family Service Division
Families In Need of Services (FINS)